Everybody thinks their newborn is a great sleeper… until they get their newborn photos.
“He normally isn’t so fussy.”
“She usually sleeps through anything!”
“I typically don’t feed him 25 times in one hour…”
I hear it all the time. And TRUST me, it’s totally normal! Your baby is used to snuggling with you, nursing, and getting his bum changed. That’s about the extent of his routine. Until I come along with my wraps and headbands and weird baskets…
What I want all of my lovely clients to know is:
- ITS OK! I have two babies of my own. I’m used to crying, pooping, spit-up, fussing, nursing, etc. Don’t stress if you need to nurse 50 times while I’m there, or if your little one poops all over my sheep skin. I’ve been there, done that, and lived to tell about it.
- Relax. Eat breakfast. Don’t worry too much about hair and makeup and a clean house. You want your photos to show the love and connection you have with your new little one. Not how perfect your house or eyeliner was that day. You’re a new mom! Not a model. So don’t stress. Your baby can tell when you’re stressed and will fuss extra for you. Believe me. It’s science.
- Newborn photos are best in the morning, in natural light. If you don’t feel your house has enough lighting to get really great photos, let me know! You’re always welcome at my place 🙂
- It’s typically best to get newborn photos done anywhere from day 5-10. This is the sweet spot. They’re still dopey and mouldable, but less wrinkly and cone-headed (amiright?) I know you’re not going to feel like getting photos 5 days post-hospital but it’s really worth it. You’ll thank me. Maybe. Someday.
- This is a LIFESTYLE newborn session. I don’t do the complicated, squishy, newborn poses. I want to capture the smallness and sweetness of your baby. The love and connection between you and them. If you have specific requests please contact me and I’ll let you know whether or not I feel comfortable fulfilling them.
And there you have it! It may seem daunting, but in the end you’ll have wonderful memories of your sweet new babe!